We met at Startup Weekend, a two-day hackathon, and quickly got to work.
I sketched out some wireframes and turned them into a working prototype using an app called POP (Prototyping on Paper).
We emailed the prototype to 40 people and surveyed them. We asked them if:
A) they honestly would use this app in real life, and
B) if they had suggestions.
Over half said that they would use the app, which—remember, this was a hackathon—was the validation we needed to start building.
I rebuilt the wireframe prototype in Illustrator to quickly iterate as we tested.
Once the interaction design was smooth, I sketched out the branding and color palette to set the tone.
Then, I created the high-res mocks.
I exported all of the assets and paired with the iOS developer to implement everything.
We didn't win the hackathon, but we decided to continue to build out Koffee anyways.
I created a casual little tutorial to help onboard new users.
Once we launched it on the App Store, we realized that there were a lot of competing Tinder-meets-LinkedIn apps that were farther along, and that it would be a good idea to pivot. So, we began building Ping.